Hard Reset
More of a soft reboot if you ask me.
Hard reset was released September 13th
of last year as a PC exclusive title, and it's available on Steam for
$20.
I like first person shooters. Not the
silly new ones like Call of Duty, which I can rage at for decades and
decades, but the old ones, like Painkiller, Doom, Quake, Serious Sam,
and the Duke Nukem games that didn't take 15 years to make. They all
had something a lot of games nowadays tend to forget. They all knew
they were video games. Sure, some of them had plot and sure,
sometimes they were good, but usually the games were just about pure
entertainment, something about yelling “OSCAR WILCO FOXTROT CHARLIE”
and spinning around rapid firing a sniper rifle just doesn't give me.
So I was interested in Hard Reset. I bought the game on sale on steam
for something like $5, and left it in my list of games for a couple
months. When I got around to installing it, it was about 3 gigabytes,
so it took an hour or so, with my connection. When I got it
installed, I booted it up, and was immediately hit with how nice the
game looked. Of course, it was a bit too nice for my computer,
so I changed the screen resolution to 4:3 and changed the rest of the
settings to the lowest possible—I like my games to run fast, so
that I can perform actions quickly and cohesively. The first few
levels of the game were quite fun, showing a very blade runner-esque
futuristic city, complete with blue lights and towering Grey
buildings. Combat was fun, upgrading weapons to shoot robots in new,
creative ways. And for a bit, there was a plot, displayed in
beautifully rendered and displayed motion comics, which actually
seemed to integrate the English language, unlike many other indie
games.
However, about an hour in, after the
first memorable boss, I realized something. I'd played the game for
an hour, and never left the blue-grey color scheme the entire time.
Sure, I’d briefly been underground in some basement structure, but
I'd almost immediately been thrown BACK upstairs onto the regular
'future city'. I'd been fighting the same 5 monsters with various
palette swaps the entire time, and while Atlas was a fun boss, I'd
later find out that he was the first of two bosses. Yup. Two
bosses. And Atlas was a little after the halfway point. Furthermore,
the further into the game I played, the worse the cutscenes got, and
the less cohesive the plot got. Framerate began to slow because the
game had basically padded out each encounter with more and more
explosive objects, from 'anti theft' shocking vending machines, to
red explosive...things. Basically, I'd shoot at the first enemy in a
stream of 5 or 6, and it'd set off a chain reaction. Or, I'd whip out
the shotgun, and obliterate all in front of me. I didn't even really
need the other weapons, and the Plasma rifle was largely useless
until I got the railgun...which I only used in the final boss fight.
All in all, the game was something like 4 to 5 hours long.
Which was incredibly disappointing.
And the whole time, I really just fought the same 3 palette swapped
enemies. The big bulky thing which ran at you, the little guys that
sometimes exploded, and the medium sized things that sometimes had
guns but usually just ran at you. And next to nothing was
explained about the robots or the world that the game takes place in.
Both topics which I found extremely interesting. The hero allegedly
defends the digitalized souls of a billion people—which is
incredibly awesome. But next to nothing is ever said about
this. Little is explained about anything, especially later on when
the grammar gets bad and the acting gets worse. Apparently the
corporation that runs the city isn't good but isn't evil at the same
time...? Well...That's an interesting topic to never pursue!
The game ends when you shoot some giant bug creature thing with the
railgun, which is only useful here because it's basically a sniper
rifle. Sniper rifles weren't in Painkiller, Duke Nukem, Doom (except
for the later ones), Quake (again save for the later ones), but they
were in Serious Sam. Why? Because some enemies were actually far
away! You're rarely, if ever presented with an enemy that
isn't running directly at your face, and the weapons that aren't the
base machine guns and the shotgun are really just boss battle
equipment.
In summary, Hard Reset was quite
promising, but it never really achieved what it wanted to do. It's
only a throwback to old, early 90's strafe and shoot games in the
sense that the plot is virtually nonexistant, but that's just about
it. It looks nice, for it's time, but I figure the graphics are
sloppy graphics—slightly unlike Crysis 1 and completely unlike Half
Life 2, which I can play without problem on medium to high. The
strafing barely works as the only thing you can strafe from is
the thing that runs at you, but it just follows your strafe anyway.
And by the time you've strafed to the slightest, you've probably shot
something explosive and are taking damage at an uncanny range from
both the charger-thing and the explosion. There are 2 bosses, two and
half if you want to be completely precise, because there's a turret
that has a fair bit of health about midway through the game, and
there's no multiplayer aspect. There's achievements, sure, and there
are a few secrets and such, but it doesn't really have any replay
value. Doom had replay value because there were rooms and segments to
explore that actually gave you rewards. You might find a shotgun.2 or
a chainsaw, something cool, while in this case you'll find 200
credits which can be slightly tagged onto your quest to buy the
weapons in the game. Which wasn't really a problem. Most of the
secrets can be found by turning around, and I had every weapon by the
end, with most fully upgraded.
If you really are interested in this
game though, there are worse things than giving the people who made
Painkiller and worked on The Witcher 2 twenty dollars. Sure, it's
incredibly overpriced and really not that much fun later on, but it
can be a fun ride for a bit of time, and you're giving money to indie
developers. Maybe they'll make a new Painkiller, or maybe they'll
have accumulated enough money to buy id software and get them to make
a new game that doesn't suck.
In my book, Hard Reset gets 4/10
stars—slightly below average. Granted, the standards for Average
and Good have much decreased over the years, but I wouldn't buy the
game. It's more worth the $5 I paid for it when it was on sale, not
the $20 it's worth now.
This review has excellent voice - what a sense of humor - and clearly establishes your expertise and interest in gaming. I would love to have this piece specifically for the Buzzer or for you to consider writing something else for tne newspaper. The only thing that needs a little work is editing (e.g. make sure to indent your paragraphs and read work aloud before publishing it).
ReplyDelete